The New Westminster Heritage Preservation Society advocates to preserve our city’s heritage buildings and historic landscapes. Conservation of significant historic sites and preservation of neighbourhoods threatened by demolition are of major concern to our organization.
The society supports restoration and encourages heritage designation of buildings and sites. Since 1980 we have been committed to identifying and preserving sites, buildings, neighbourhoods and vegetation important to our community’s heritage. Through our annual homes tour we actively promote appreciation of New Westminster’s rich history.
The society is recognized as the “voice of heritage” by local media and its members often appear before the city council on these matters.
NWHPS members share a commitment to our architectural past and seek opportunities to incorporate these elements into the ongoing development of our city.
Our current goals are to:
- play a meaningful role in New Westminster’s heritage planning initiatives as a member of the Community Heritage Commission
- advocate for heritage preservation throughout New Westminster at the neighbourhood level
- advocate on the provincial level for heritage preservation with other heritage communities in BC
- educate the public and elected officials on these matters
- liaise with other heritage societies